Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year... Same Old Goals


At the start of each new year I try to take some time to reflect on the events and blessings of the previous year.  Sometimes I even get so bold as to create a slideshow of some of the highlights.  For example, here is a slideshow I made last year for Laura (my inspiration) to remind her of a very eventful 2009 - running, vacations, cosmetology school etc:


Next I like to jot down a few goals to focus on in the upcoming year. To help me decide on where to focus, I imagine myself a year in the future watching the slideshow of highlights.  After writing my goals for 2011 I stumbled on goal sheets from previous years.  I was disappointed to see that many of the goals I created this year were the same goals I write down each year.  Are these goals really not that important to me?  Or do I just need to be more focused and motivated all year long?  In an effort to clear the log jam of goals I have decided to publicize my goals in hopes of staying motivated.  At the very least, the humiliation of other people knowing that I fell short once again should convince me to try a different set of goals next year, right?

I was inspired by the scripture Luke 2:52 to set goals in 4 different areas.  My FY2011 goals are (Drum roll please)...

Wisdom--> Intellectual
  • Learn 4 songs on the guitar
    • Practice for 15 minutes at least 3x / week
    • Learn a new chord each month (Taylor Swift recommendation)
Stature --> Physical
  • Train for and run Marathon with Laura in under 3:50 (Boston Qualifier)
    • Sign-up for Marathon (Ogden)
    • Create and follow 18 week training marathon
  • Complete P90x (or similar) program before beach trip in July
    • Acquire program (DVDs)
    • Eat a low fat, high protein diet
Favor with God --> Spiritual
  • Write in a journal at least 1x / week (52x / year)
    • Find Medium for journal (Blogger.com)
    • Find regular time to write in journal (Sunday?)
Favor with man --> Social
  • Rip all home movies to MP4 to be backed up and viewed on iPod, AppleTV etc
    • Acquire all materials - External hard drive, Fire-wire cables, mozy.com account
    • Rip 3/week (12 / month) starting Feb 1st.

Hopefully in a year I will be watching a slideshow that includes the accomplishment of these goals.  It is time to grab hold of the reins, give the horse a kick and ...

Giddy Up!
StevieG


3 comments:

  1. I love your Blog dad! It is such a good idea! I want to read all of the things you put on here! I am really excited for you! When the internet is running really slow for you because of all of the views you are getting and all of the comments people are trying to make,

    Giddy-Up Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wohoo! GIddy-Up StevieG!
    I will be checking in on your blog to make sure you stick to it! Good luck with this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going on "Daddy" rides! I love the Disneyland one! I can't wait to go this summer or spring Break! So start saving up and.....

    Giddy-Up StevieG!

    ReplyDelete